Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Friday, October 8, 2010

Best Fall cookies

Hi everyone from Ten Gables Cottage! It's a gorgeous day today with lots of sunshine, 80 degrees and no humidity. I plan to enjoy every minute of this day!    I made the best crispy sugar cookies for my quilting group on Tuesday. They are called Best Fall Cookies and the recipe came from a wonderful cook in Minnesota.  I want to share it with you. No wonder they are so crisp and good; they are made with solid shortening--Crisco. It's not so healthy, but for a splurge, these are the best! The cinnamon gives them a nice delicate flavor and you won't believe the crispness! Delicious with coffee or HOT APPLE CIDER! YUM!  
BEST FALL COOKIES
1 CUP SHORTENING
1 CUP WHITE SUGAR
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR, PACKED
CREAM TOGETHER AND ADD
1 BEATEN EGG AND 1 TSP. VANILLA

SIFT TOGETHER
1 1/2 CUPS FLOUR
1 TSP. CINNAMON
1 TSP. SODA AND 1/2 TSP SALT      

ADD TO CREAMED INGREDIENTS AND ADD
1/2 OATMEAL. CHILL. ROLL INTO WALNUT-SIZED BALLS AND PLACE ON COOKIE SHEET. FLATTEN WITH A GLASS DIPPED INTO WHITE SUGAR. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR ABOUT 8-10 MINUTES. 

EAT UP! MAKES ABOUT 24 LARGE COOKIES

My grandsons, Andrew and Austin, helped me make them a few weeks ago, and they loved flattening the balls with the glass dipped in sugar. They ended up taking their fingers and putting even more sugar on them, giving the term "sugar cookies" a whole new meaning.
If you try them, let me know how you like them.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!   

1 comment:

  1. They look really yummy - I'm gonna go have a snack! I hope to bake apple and blackberry pie over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete