Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

" Beautiful Roses"


Hello everyone from Ten Gables Cottage,
There are a couple of rose gardens at Ten Gables and this one is the newest, so the plants are doing better than the older ones. I'm not sure of the name of this rose, but it is really pretty and is blooming profusely. Roses are really not that hard to grow in Florida, even though I hear people say all the time that they can't grow roses! They do require water if it is really dry and I fertilize them with Miracle Grow for Roses. I also sprinkle Epsom Salts around them and water it in. Black spot is a problem but you can buy spray for that and occasionally I use it. I try to pick off any yellow leaves and destroy so it doesn't spread. In Florida, you don't have to prune them back deeply, as they will bloom all year . I keep any dead stems cut off and dead-head as needed. So, right now all colors are in bloom and they really look pretty.
Rose bushes
last about 5 years, then they just need to be replaced here. The foliage is alot more sparse than you see in colder climates, but the blooms are just as pretty.

1 comment:

  1. It looks really healthy and a very pretty rose colour.

    ReplyDelete