Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Feather tree with egg ornaments



Hi from Ten Gables,
A very long time ago, about 1970, I made Christmas ornaments from blown out egg shells. First you pricked a pin head in both ends of the egg and blew out the contents, then you melted parafin with a bit of crayon (to give color)and poured some inside the egg to strengthen it, then added tiny figurines or cut outs and decorated the outside of the egg with bits of trim. You added a wire with a bead inside the egg to hold it steady and made a hanger. They were fun to make and I must have made at least 50 or 60. I gave my mother a box of them for her tree and then over the years mine were all broken or just diappeared! But guess what! A mother will keep and cherish what her child makes, so my mother had her ornaments in a box wrapped carefully. So when I found them, I ordered a feather tree kit to make a little tree just for them.
The feather tree is made of dyed goose feathers and it was really fun making it!You can find kits to order on the net. You can even get huge tree kits, but mine is about 30 inches tall. Also, in my travels, I have added eggs from Russia and my daughter got me some from Prague.
Today I am reminiscing as I decorate. Check out my painting blog http://egrettawells.blogspot.com/ to see a painting of a place in the town where I grew up! I hope you are enjoying preparing for Christmas as much as I am! Have a great day, Egretta

2 comments:

  1. Dear Egretta, Your painted eggs are absolutely charming. How wonderful that your mother has kept them for you to enjoy now. In Budapest, where I live for much of my time, painted eggs are a national tradition at Easter and are everywhere. I love the way in which they have individuality, expressing the painter's creativity. Just as yours do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EGRETTA,
    I CAN REMEMBER MAKING THE EGG ORNAMENTS. DO YOU REMEMBER THE DELICATE, EXQUISITE ONES FRANCES SCOTT USED TO MAKE?

    ReplyDelete