Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Molasses Crinkles


Hello everyone,
I do hope you are keeping warm. It is very cold here at Ten Gables in South Florida! We are expecting temperatures to fall below freezing tonight. The citrus growers are busy harvesting what they can. I have harvested most of my broccoli and am covering the cabbages and tomatoes at night. I forgot to cover the banana tree, which is small and has not had bananas yet, and today it looks quite desperate. Probably too late, but I will cover it tonight, as well as the poinsettias and all the potted plants. I understand most parts of the U.S. is very cold and so is England and Ireland. Wonder what happened to global warming??
Today I am posting my Molasses Crinkles, delicious little cookies so perfect with a good cup of hot tea, hot chocolate, or coffee. A very long time ago, my son was playing with a friend at the friend's house and when he returned home he told me about the yummy cookies the mother had served them. So I asked him to get the recipe the next time he was invited over, and he did. I have been making these for years and years. They are easy and delicious. I had a meeting with my quilt group today and took a tin of them . So here is the recipe:
Molasses Crinkles
3/4 cup of soft shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup of molasses ( I believe in United Kingdom, they call it treacle)
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
Cream first four ingredients, then add dry ingredients to make dough. Chill. Roll into walnut sized balls and dip tops in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheets and sprinkle a few drops of water on each ball. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!
Keep yourself warm and cozy!

3 comments:

  1. These look good. I think I have had something like it in a bar cookie. I may have to try this one. I have all the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm going to have to make those tomorrow. Diet be damned.

    ReplyDelete