Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Welcome to my studio


Hi and come into my studio today and see where I work and "play"...to me my work is play. The studio is just a step across the back porch to a separate building that is the size of a large 2 car garage. I am so fortunate to have a place to paint, sew, use my computer and do all the projects I want to do; then, I can leave the mess if I have to stop, and come back to work later without having to tidy up. I love that! I display the finished paintings here as well, even though it is not a gallery space but a work space.




I have many books here and props for still life paintings as well and quite a few antiques, too.
Here you can see some finished paintings. Many of the ones shown here have been sold...things are constantly changing in the studio. I have wonderful light from 2 north-west sky lights and 5 windows with adjustable blinds.





















The ceiling is very high, so there is a space for objects on top of the closet wall. I have a huge closet all the way across one end and there are actually 2 doors to it. Believe me it is so full, and needs a good clean out. I store canvas, paper, easels etc. there, as well as some craft supplies and seasonal decorations. Is there ever enough storage room?
As you can see, I have an old quilt hanging from the top of the closet wall, and I think you can glimpse an old crockery churn, an old telephone, etc. up there. I also have a beautiful antique cash register that came out of the first and oldest department store in Harlan, Ky. where I was born. It is dated 1900, and when I bought a florist shop there in the 60's, the cash register was in the building. When the shop sold in later years, I kept the cash register. It was cleaned and restored to its first glory. It is polished brass with a marble piece on the top where the drawer goes in. I have actually used it in 3 shops, but now it is retired just to enjoy looking at. I have an old railroad stove (you can see the pipe). This is for charm only, as the studio has central air and heat. Some of the paintings in this photo have been sold, also, and others have been hung in their places.

Hope you enjoyed this peek inside my studio, where I spend a big part of every day. Sometimes I walk in the door and say out loud to no one, " I love this studio"!

Hope you are having a great weekend. Egretta

4 comments:

  1. How nice to have somewhere like that for your leisure pursuits, that is not part of your main house. Looks like your hobby materials are more organised than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a separate studio like you. This looks like a wonderful space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but Gardenwalkgardentalk, I just looked at your blog and you have a wonderful greenhouse! How much fun that must be! And your photos are fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dearly loved that old cash register. I can still hear the "ding" when it was opened for a sale many years ago. Such a difference from the computer register I use today. Your studio looks great!

    ReplyDelete