Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wheaten Bread

Hello everyone,

I just finished reading a book my daughter got me for Christmas, called An Irish Country Doctor
by Patrick Taylor. It was good reading and at the end were a few recipes from Ulster, Northern Ireland. That is where my daughter lives and I have visited quite a few times there and just love the wonderful Wheaten Bread they have. So when I saw the recipe in the book, I got busy and made a loaf! Here is a slice with butter melting on it, just fresh from the oven!
















This is how the whole loaf looks. It turned out very good, but still not as good as that I've eaten in Norther Ireland. It may be that our whole wheat flour is milled differently. Or maybe this recipe is not the best----I don't know. Don't get me wrong, though. This bread is delicious. It is thick textured and chewy. But there is something different about it and the bread in Ireland. For one thing, it is darker--I wonder if the bread I ate there might have had a little white flour in it too. I will do some research.

Anyway, here is the recipe. It is quick and easy, so you may want to try it and see what you think!
Wheaten Bread
10 oz. whole wheat flour
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
14 oz. buttermilk
Mix dry ingredients very thoroughly. Then add buttermilk to make a thick paste---not too dry.
Turn it into a well greased and floured medium loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and
then for 40 minutes at 350. If top starts getting too brown, cover loosely with foil or parchment paper. Happy Baking!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Egretta; As a fan of Irish cooking I wonder if you have ever heard of Catherine Fulvio? She is a well-known Irish TV chef (married to an Italian man) and she runs a cookery school called Ballyknocken, just south of Dublin. Jane and I attended a short cookery course there last Spring. It was fabulous, and we learned a couple of good recipes that we have already used a few times. One of them was soda bread filled with pesto in similar fashion to the Pesto Palmiers I blogged about just before Christmas. See http://www.ballyknocken.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have printed the recipe so that I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made wheaten bread so will have to give it a go. I've heard people say that flour is a bit different in different countries. Your bread looks quite tasty. The irish like to put butter and cheese in it and perhaps eat along with soup at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found another recipe on allrecipes. com that had some plain bread flour in it plus butter and it sounded more like what we eat in N. Ireland, so think I will try it soon,too. The one I made is really quick and easy and it was good.

    ReplyDelete