Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Look what's RED today!

Happy Sat. from Ten Gables cottage, I discovered a pineapple starting to grow in the pineapple plants. I have three plants together at the side of the house and one is going to have a pineapple! They mature in July or early August, so it has a lot of growing to do. As it grows, it will not look so red as it does now. Yum! I will have to watch it when it starts to ripen because it is a favorite of raccoons! Last year, I had one I was watching. I said, "O.K tomorrow I will cut it". Was a raccoon within hearing distance? When tomorrow came, it was gone! I think this year, I will pick it a little early and lay it up to finish ripening. Still just as good.I will put it in the garage to ripen, where little creatures can't get it! How I grew these is: I cut the top off a pineapple and stick it in the ground; it grows! It takes about 2 years to get fruit, however. My grape tomato plant is full, full, full and overflowing with lovely ripe tomatoes! Just one plant! The three other tomatoes I planted are larger varieties and were planted a couple of weeks after this one, so they are flowering now. I also have some green peppers showing up and growing on the pepper plants. It sure does not take long to see results in the garden! I have zucchini, yellow squash, and egg plant really growing, and one bloom on the zucchini. It is fun to watch the garden grow! Today is hot here, about 87 degrees, so I know I will be watering things tonight! Fresh and ready to eat!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, Egretta what especially that you have an Annanasplant in your garden, in our climate it is not suitable, beautiful photos. I've enjoyed it.
    A sweet greetings from Elly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't expect Pineapple to be red - I thought it was yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your garden red - tomatoes look really good and pineapple plant, really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - tomatoes already! Mine haven't even bloomed yet. And a pineapple! How exciting - I hope you get to it before the raccoon this year!

    ReplyDelete