Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Collection of Compacts

Hi everybody,
I have mentioned my collection of compacts once before, but thought I would show you some of the most interesting ones in the collection. Women began to use compacts during WWI when they entered the work force and started using cosmetics. The compact is a portable container with a mirror and powder and powder puff.
This black one was a "flapper" compact. A lady carried it on her wrist and it was nice to take to dances, etc.






This one is bakelite and is engraved. I got it in Kentucky, given to me by a friend. The initials are of a prominent lady there.




A beautiful petite point compact, probably hand embroidered and made in a European country.




One of my favorites is the little army cap sent to my mother in law by her brother during WWII.













My friends, John and Margaret surprised me last week with this beauty. It is in mint condition and is by John Robert Powers. He was born in 1892 and died in 1977, so I believe this compact is from the 50's or early 50's, although this type was very popular in the 40's. Powers started the famous Power's Modeling Agency, made very famous by such models as Betty Ford, Cornell Wilde.






Another view of this lovely John Robert Powers Compact.














Here is the total display in my home.
















Does anyone else out there collect compacts? Let me hear from you! Happy Wednesday, Egretta

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Isn't it a shame ladies don't carry these pretty compacts today (except maybe Royalty?). My anti-shine powder compact is in an ugly pastic throw away container by Rimmel. Bring back the old ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique and interesting collection you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egretta, is there any type of artefact that you DON'T collect?? You have such a fabulous collection of lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Egretta,

    The "good" old times ??!! You have a very nice collection with lovely items. You can be proud and thank you for showing it with beautiful photos.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Lovely greetings, Elly

    ReplyDelete