Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Sunday, October 16, 2011

How to make a felt glass case or cell phone holder....

Hi everyone, I hope you have had a wonderful Sunday! This morning was sunny, but after church it clouded up and I have been creating some cute little Fall gifts for friends. They are easy and fun to make. I love working with felt because you don't have to worry about raveling edges! So first cut a piece of felt about 7 inches wide and 6 and 1/2 inches long. Fold in half, making it longer than wide. The top will be left open so you can slide your cell or glasses inside.






I put a pin in the middle and then go around the edges with a blanket stitch and 3 strains of embroidery thread in a contrasting color. If you don't know how to do a blanket stitch, just whip stitch edges together. One side is the folded side, so you don't need to sew there.









When finished sewing the edges of the case, set aside and make felt flowers. I just cut the felt free hand into 5 scallops as shown. Now, take a needle threaded with regular sewing thread and do a gathering stitch across the bottom of the scallop piece. Pull up the thread and secure it....you now have a pretty little flower!








Felt flower. You can use a button as center. Or a bead, or make a little felt center. Be creative here!



Here are some flower varieties.



















Decorate your holder with flowers You can also do some embellishment with embroidery or cut little felt leaves to apply. You can glue the flowers or or sew them. I have done both.












Well, here they are! My afternoon's project, which was so much fun and I think these will make cute little gifts for some of my friends.











4 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! They're really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so creative!
    I wish i'm your neighbour to get all this! hahahhaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so crafty and quite talented. Sometimes I think about retiring so that I can do such fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very creative. I'll be sure and pass it on to my wife.

    God bless and have a wonderful weekend :-)

    *The Old Geezer Blog

    ReplyDelete