Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Floral signs of Christmas

Hello everyone and welcome to Ten Gables Cottage,




It is almost Thanksgiving, but the Christmas plants are already blooming! My white Christmas cactus is always earlier than the pink one, so it already is full of bud and has one big blooming hanging down. I have heard that you shouldn't water them when in bud, as the buds will drop. Does anyone out there know if this is true?











The poinsetta I planted after Christmas last year are blooming, too! Poinsetta are tropical, so I guess that is what they are supposed to do! In my view, one can never have too many poinsettas and I plan to get some light pink ones and some white ones this year, too, but of course, red is always the most striking! Which is your favorite color?







This one is really red and to my delight a wild white periwinkle just happened to come up right behind the red poinsetta. Ah, nature!


It's a glorious day here today, in the 70's, beautiful and sunny with a nice breeze.




By the way, for you who don't know...I have another blog, where I show my paintings and try to post one every few days. Check it out at http://egrettawells.blogspot.com/ . I am excited, too, because I will be showing my paintings now in my own gallery at DailyPaintworks.com




Hope you are having a great day!

3 comments:

  1. That's beautiful bloom from Christmas cactus. I don't know about them though...

    I saw some red Poinsetta in my near by nursery. But due to the weather she told the red colour is only temporary....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard about not watering the Christmas cactus when blooming. Of course here in Colorado it is very dry, so I water mine once a week. It lives the African violets and seems to get along quite nicely. It has buds that are yet to open. Another favorite, the poinsettia. Here they are just seasonal and I can never seem to keep mine much past Christmas. Your holiday flowers are quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty Christmas cactus flower. I'm not sure about watering. The chenille snowmen in your last post are fab, and the painted cat rocks are great - so creative!

    ReplyDelete