Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Decorating for Valentine's Day


Hi Everyone and welcome to Ten Gables! It is really cool today, but sunny. It's about 60 right now and we should see in the mid 70's before the day is over! It is time to decorate a bit for Valentine's day. I have already been sewing felt hearts and decorating them and will show you those later. But today, I will show you what I have done so far in the line of decorating. Valentine's day is one of my favorite "holidays", because I just love hearts in any form....they say love and remind me of the fun we had as children in school making Valentines for our friends. We would always cover a shoe box with pretty paper or white paper and decorate it. We would cut a slit in the center for our classmates to put their cards in the box. It was fun on Valentine's day to see how many you got, who sent them, and if maybe some special person put one in your box! Do you remember that, too?

I have a beautiful bowl on the dining room table that has red "coins" around the edge. In fact I have several pieces of this type antique glass and I don't know the name of it. Does anyone know?

One year I made the heart shown above and a whole stack of them. I like to hang them in the windows in the dining room. They were fun to make, but I have lost the instructions and really can't remember how I did them. I think you put white felt over red and sew your design and then cut out around the stitching (the white layer) to give the design. Each one I made is different.

The little feather tree was left up after Christmas, and all the Christmas decorations taken off and  then covered  with little plastic hearts. I think I like it better now than at Christmas!

A cute Annalee doll sits on the buffet....a gift one year from my brother and sister in law. Love it!
And here is her little partner, a cupid. Hope he shoots some arrows your way! More hearts to come, so watch for them. Have a great day, Egretta.

4 comments:

  1. Cute decorations! I remember the box for valentine's cards in school. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how pretty everything is Egretta. I love your valentine tree. I have never saw heart ornaments before. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are ready for St. Valentine's Day. It's one of my favs bevause it is just from the heart and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Valentine's day decoration!

    ReplyDelete