Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Friday, April 19, 2013

Container Gardening with Flowers


Hi Everyone, I have heard that a lot of you are finally getting Springlike weather. Well, today in South Florida, it is more like mid Summer. It was 90 degrees and, although not too humid, it felt pretty warm! I did manage to get outside a plant up the cutest flower container you have ever seen! It looks like a vintage tub with a water spigot, but it actually has a solar light in it. So I let it sit in the sun eight hours and then planted it up with some gorgeous annuals. I thought the tall blue delphinium even resembles water pouring from the spigot! How cute is that! Margaret, my good neighbor brought the container to me, and she got herself one, too. I will show you later how she plants hers. I can say that she has a greener thumb than me!!

But I love mine and wasn't that so thoughtful of her! Can't wait to turn on the light at night and illuminate it!

I am into galvanized containers! They are so "country" yet sort of sophisticated in some ways. I used a tall one for this peace lily.

Just a low plastic pot becomes a nice container for a mixed garden of blooms and plants. I love the apple green sweet potato plant.

An old crockery planter that is long and narrow makes a pretty container for running plants mixed with a bit of color on each side.

Do you remember my grandsons' little pond they built me from a plastic tote box?
I still am enjoying it as the plants grow around it and now it sports a beautiful water lily. I could not find a real water lily, but never mind, I found an artificial one that really looks real and my little painted rock turtle likes it just fine!
Happy container gardening to you!

4 comments:

  1. Those containers look really attractive, Egretta! This type of gardening gives you so much more flexibility: you can move things around and easily bring to the fore some new flowers when your old ones are past their best. There is a stall on our local weekly market which I think you would love. It sells second-hand plant pots and containers - all in good condition, just not new. I was tempted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never seem to be able to plan really pretty containers. I especially like the blue flowers. They are brilliant. The water lily looks real, but I like the little turtle. I can wait for 90 degree weather. Ours will come by June or July. More snow for tomorrow, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your container ideas are so good, very pretty. I like the water lily as it looks real. I would never have thought it wasn't real, and I like your turtle rock, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers in container look so lovely! good idea! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete