Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Friday, January 2, 2015

The New Year...what's happening at Ten Gables?

Hi everyone, No this isn't a picture of the moon! It's a pone of Southern cornbread, ready for dinner, or "Supper" as we Southerners say.  It looks like it has a few craters on it, but all I can say, the smell is delicious and break out the butter! You know, I just love homemade bread, whether it is good ole buttermilk biscuits, cornbread, soda bread or Irish wheaten bread. I love banana bread and cinnamon rolls.  I guess deleting bread from my diet for the New Year isn't going to happen!

Well, the new year is on us now and we are in the 2nd day. The only real resolution I have made is to make a meat loaf. Yes, that's right. I have eaten healthy or tried to for many years, now, and I am ready for one last time to make a sinfully delicious meat loaf from good old hamburger. In fact, I am going to get out my old recipes and make some of those old country fat and unhealthy dishes we used to think nothing about eating. I don't think I will make any other resolution!!
It is time to plant the three poinsettia plants I bought to decorate for Christmas. Every year I plant them and only one has lived. So I must change the location where I have tried them.  I think it is far too wet.  For every plant there is a place it likes or doesn't like. Finding that place sometimes is not easy!!


Today I pulled the pineapple, or cut it, I should say.  It had tripled in the size shown and turned yellow, so I really needed to get it cut before the raccoons spotted it.  I sliced it and it is chilling in the fridge. It is so sweet and delicious.  I will plant the head to get another plant. Then I will wait 2 years for another pineapple on that plant.  It is a good thing that I have lots of plants growing and no doubt will have more pineapples next season.
It is threatening to rain and we do need it. The grass is green, but in places is showing some brown and need some rain water. In January, Florida is probably the prettiest, most pleasant place to be in the United States...no snow, no cold and even if it rains, the sun shines in just minutes or even while it is raining. That is why so many people from all over winter here.  Welcome all you snowbirds!!Happy New Year to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is good-looking bread, Egretta. I wish I could taste some! And oh how glamorous it sounds to have pineapples growing in your garden...
    I think your attitude to New Year Resolutions is sensible: it's fine to do a few things the way YOU want them, so I hope you enjoy the meatloaf. Maybe you should eat it with bread and butter??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy bread too but I try to stay away from it from a calorie perspective! Hoping to cut out sweets in 2015. Your meatloaf is a funny resolution but sounds good! I'm sure you have a few others up your sleeve too! happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete